Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Spotty Cat Wallhanging

So it's been a little while since I posted, but I've still been crafting away.  I've been working on a kit I bought from MaryMaxim.com, an online craft store.  It is called the Spotty Cat Wall Quilt Kit.  It came with all the materials to make a wallhanging quilt.  The kit looks like this: 
After reading all the instructions (*Tip: always read through all of the instructions for a project first before starting) I cut the included fabric as specified in the instructions.  (*Tip:  Be very careful to double, and even triple check your measurements, as it is easy to make a mistake.  With kits like this you aren't given a lot of extra fabric for mistakes.)

After cutting the fabric for the background, I cut out the paper templates for the applique (Applique is just the term used to describe when you cut a patterned piece of fabric to be sewn on top of a background fabric.)  After cutting the templates out I traced around them on the woolfelt with a chalk pencil and then cut them out.  (*Tip: I cut out all the templates that used one color of woolfelt, and traced and cut them before moving on to the next color.  This method worked well for me.  Also, it is good practice to lay out all the templates on the woolfelt and configure them so there is room for all of the pieces, then start by tracing and cutting the largest piece.)
Next post will show how I sewed together the background of the wallhanging.


No comments:

Post a Comment