Sunday, May 16, 2010

First Project: Sewing a Quilted Eyeglass Case

So I just recently bought a sewing machine with the intent of getting into quilting.  But of course I didn't want to start out on a giant quilt so I looked around for a smaller project I could start with.  I found this free pattern for a Quilted Eyeglass Case.  I am currently in the process of making 3 of these: 1 each for myself, my mom, and my sister.  This is a great beginner project.  I will be posting the first step today, followed by the rest of the steps in the days to come.  If the colors seem to change in the different pictures it is because I'll be using pics from the 3 different cases I made throughout.


My first step after cutting the pieces (sorry no pics) was to sew the 3 different colors together one at a time.   The middle strip measures 1.75" X 18", while the other two strips measure 2" X 18".

For each strip, I pinned the strips together right sides facing and lining up the edges.
Then I sewed the strips on the sewing machine using a 1/4" seam allowance (this means the distance between the needle and the edge of the fabric is 1/4"), making sure to pull out the pins as I sew.

Come back later for the next step!

No comments:

Post a Comment